Thanksgiving tomorrow just gives me MORE reason to go hard this Workout Wednesday. Today I’m going to be doing exercises with a stability ball.
I want to be able to enjoy all the yummy food Thanksgiving and the holidays have to offer so I just put in the work in the gym.
Below are some exercises you can do with your stability ball — you can go to the gym or buy one for your home! They are worth the investment, trust me. You can even use them as a chair and keep your abs working while you’re in your office.
1. Overhead Ball Squat – This one is super simple. Just do a traditional squad but hold the stability ball with your arms fully extended overhead. Stability balls are heavy and will challenge your shoulders and deltoid muscles. 10-15 reps.
2. Hamstring Curl – Lie on the floor with arms extended perpendicular to the torso and lower calves and heels resting on the ball. Lift your hips up from the floor. You will feel this in your glutes and abs. You’ll also feel wobbly so wse your outstretched arms for stability. Exhale and slowly bring the knees in towards the hips, so the feet are resting flat on top of the ball. Pause for a few seconds in this position and then inhale, straightening legs out again. Keep those hips up the whole time to get maximum butt benefit! Do 10 to 12 reps of this total-body move.
3. Reverse Extension – This move works the booty! Start with your chest on the ball, with fingertips and toes resting on the floor. Roll forward so hands are under shoulders and hips are directly touching the ball. With the feet together and by using your core, lift the legs straight from the floor until they are in line with the torso. Hold for a beat and then repeat. Do 12-15 reps.
4. Balance Push-Up – Take push-ups to another level! This is literally just a push-up but your feet are not on the ground but instead, on the stability ball. Do 10 reps.
5. Roll out – This will work your arms and core. Kneel behind the ball, with palms down on top. Slowly use the hands to push the ball forward until the triceps are resting on top of the ball and the legs are almost all the way extended with the knees on the ground. Keep your core tight! And if you’re feeling pressure on the knees then place a towel or yoga mat under them. Make sure to keep a proper form.
6. V-Sit With Ball. This one is like a sit-up with your feet not on the ground but on the floor instead. However, you will extend the time you stay up in the V-position. Lie face up on the ground with ankles resting on the top of the stability ball. With arms pointing towards the feet, roll your upper body up so the body forms a V with the hips on the ground. Hold for five counts (your abs should be shaking) and slowly roll back down to the ground. As slow as you can! Repeat for 6 to 10 reps.
7. Knee Tucks – Start in push-up position with toes resting on the ball and straight arms, with hands on the ground under the shoulders. Bring the knees towards the chest until the knees are directly under the hips. Extend knees back to push-up position and repeat for 10 to 15 reps.
These are some great exercises with stability ball but the possibilities are endless! Let me know if you have some favorite stability ball exercises.