Happy Thursday! Almost the weekend! Hopefully everyone has had a great first work week of the new year.
Hopefully you’re not too tired. I know that sometimes those late nights and early mornings are just unavoidable! When I haven’t had enough hours to sleep, something I will rely on is makeup to make me look more refreshed than I feel. But sometimes you don’t have time for makeup or maybe you just don’t wear makeup regularly. So I wanted to find some tips to use when you want to look more awake without using makeup.
- Wear color — the right color. Do not go for the neutrals. Black is the easiest color to reach for, I know, but it can cast dark shadows on your face. And white can make you look washed out. Choose a color that will flatter your skin tone.
If you’re cool-toned: Choose jewel tones: shades of blue, pinks, purples, blue-greens, magentas, blue-based reds, or pure whites.
If you’re warm-toned: Choose earth tones: yellows, oranges, browns, chartreuses, army and deep greens, orange-based reds, or ivory.
- Use ice-cold water. Yes, seems like the last thing you want to do when you get out of your warm bed. But splashing your face with ice-cold water will wake your brain and open your eyes. Also if you have the time, I haven’t tried this before but apparently if you place two spoons on the fridge or freezer the night before and lay them over your eyes in the morning, it will cool and de-puff your eyes.
- Get a cold, soft washcloth and soak it in chamomile tea. Chamomile has anti inflammatory properties. Let it sit on your face for a minute or two, and it will reduce swelling.
- Grab earrings – the right pair, of course. Soft-colored stones will reflect beautiful light on your skin. They’ll help you look more awake and take the attention away from tired eyes.
- Add volume to the hair. When you are super tired and haven’t slept well, you want to draw the eyes up. Pulling your hair up will also pull up on your skin around your hair, giving you a small face lift.
- Smell or eat citrus. Grapefruit, oranges, lemons, all these citrus fruits with their vitamin C can pick up your energy. Even just using a citrus-scented body wash can help!
- Speaking of body wash… shower. This may seem obvious and you may or may not have time for it, but it can really help wake you up!
- Work out – Okay, yes, I know, the last thing you want to do when you’re tired and in need of sleep but literally just 15 minutes will do so much for your alertness AND your health in the long term. It gives you a rosy, healthy, awake-looking glow and keeps you fit and ready to tackle the day. Just 15 minutes!
- Drink as much water as you can during the day. Enough said!!